Sunday, May 15, 2011

Pacing Massanutten 100

Neal Gorman allowed me to tag along with him for almost 30 miles of his 2nd place, sub-20 hr finish at Massanutten Mountain Trails 100. He did awesome- he and Karl are the only sub-20 hr finishers of the past 5 years. Neal's time was the 10th fastest ever. I figured I’d share some of the pictures. I had a blast and learned for myself why everyone says “Massanutten ROCKS!” Long description of my day on FRB.

IMG_3518

Neal muscling up a typical climb

IMG_3520

Kerns Mtn had 5 unrelenting miles of this stuff. Impossible to get any sort of rhythm.

IMG_3529

Great views of the luscious Shenandoah Valley

IMG_3521

Rocks, rocks, leaf covered rocks, and more rocks. I wish I had my leaf blower to clear the path for Neal so he could at least see what he was running on.

IMG_3530

IMG_3532

Beautiful, soft, pine-covered trail. With just the occasional rock.

IMG_3534

IMG_3538

I call this section the Shangri-La- long, gradual descent alongside a lush ravine with a babbling brook. And not too many rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment