Monday, October 17, 2011

Freeloading and an open invitation

Like many runners, I'm frugal. So, I'm always up for freeloading- free rides, places to stay, food, warm showers, whatever. And, thanks to the generosity of fellow runners, I've been able to meet many new, generous, awesome people while keeping my money out of the hotel business and in my pocket. I have invited myself to people's houses many times, and never had a bad experience. The single best example of generosity was during the cancelled Pocatello 50, when someone gave me a ride, a shower at their condo, their clothes to wear, and drove me around for an hour trying to find a locksmith after I locked the keys in Cody's car- that was quite the adventure, and the help was sincerely appreciated. And, in return, I've had some people stay at my house on a number of occasions and given many rides (disclaimer: I have said "No" once. There was a good reason, though- a 39 1/2 week pregnant wife who was having labor pains. Sorry, Mr. Grossman).

And so, if you see a race on my calendar in your neck of the woods coming up, please invite me to stay at your house if you're so inclined. It will save me the trouble of inviting myself!

And, while there aren't a ton of races in the Greenville, SC area, the same invitation is open to any of you. My car gets great gas mileage. And we have a spare bed and some good cooking, so, if you're coming our way, our door is always open. Literally- try as I might, I just can't get my 3 and 5 year old daughters to close the darn thing.

Let's all work together to save our money for the important things like race entry fees, shoes, and food! Probably in reverse order.

1 comment: